Exploring new water

Life is a never ending learning process. Just when we think we know our strengths and limitations, life throws a curve ball as us. Same is my story. 

I am from India. And like most Indians, my life has always been planned well ahead of time. I followed the usual trajectory of schooling, graduation, post graduation and then a secured job with a well-known organisation. I usually 'enjoyed what I did'. Although I started my professional journey by working in the corporate sector in New Delhi, soon I realised that it wasn’t my calling. I wanted to contribute in a way where my actions would make or even ignite a small difference in the society. Soon, I started ‘doing what I enjoyed’. I found myself working as a communicator in the field of conservation. Working in this sector surely broadened my horizon and understanding of our natural world, and our inherent relationship with the environment.

And then I joined the Asia Pacific Leadership Program, East-West Centre, Honolulu, Hawaii.  To take the decision of joining the program was completely out of my ‘planned schedule’. But I convinced myself to take the plunge and explore the other side of the world and also myself. I discovered a different side of me, a ‘new me’.  Term I of APLP allowed me to discover new grounds and explore new areas of interest. It made me think deeper about my work and how could I positively contribute towards the society. I surely met individuals who inspired me and opened my world towards some amazing stories. Stories told by Keith Coats and Jeff Fuch intrigued me. And I got drawn towards exploring more of such stories.

Being a communicator by profession, I always documented stories. But maybe I looked at them from a different lens. Today, as I enter the second phase of APLP, I also step into a new phase of life. I am gearing myself to take on a journey full of stories -to listen to stories and share it with the world. Stories are important. They speak volumes about people, culture and regions. And as we are cruising ahead with the new-age media, we are somewhere losing our oral narratives. We are losing out on the communities who traditionally narrated stories.

Beginning this year, I will follow the story-tellers of the Himalayas, go back in time and listen to their stories. I will also try to draw the impact these stories have on our current day conservation practices in the specific regions. I look forward to hear stories which narrate our age old connection with the environment. 

I am excited to embark on this journey and explore the high reaches of the Himalayas. A traveller at heart, I look forward to meeting the amazing people of the Himalayas, live with them and learn from them. I am ready to explore, unlearn and relearn, and navigate through the new waters. 

​Come back to this space and read about the Himalayan stories as I take on this amazing journey. 


Comments

Popular Posts