Age is just a number


Even if you think you have failed that doesn’t mean you are a failure. The point is to understand why you failed.” – Lt.Col. JP Cross (Retd.)

Lt.Col. JP Cross (Retd.) in his study
Just when I was about to wrap up my stay in the Pokhara valley, I received this wonderful opportunity to meet Lt. Col. Cross (Retd.). Agile, energetic, humorous, and full of life. This is how I would like to describe the 94 years old Retd. British Gurkha officer. Also known as the ‘English Nepali’, he is a treasure trove of knowledge, experience and bravery. He speaks nine Asian languages.

With perfectly creased trousers and sweatshirt, olive green jacket, ‘dhaka topi’ and a walking stick, Col Cross opened the gates as my vehicle neared his premises. I felt a bit uncomfortable for I was not expecting him to open the gates for me.  Nonetheless, I was already impressed!

He greeted me with a genuine smile and his impeccable English; and led me inside. A moment later, I heard him speak like a local Nepali to a lady who was introduced as the wife of his surrogate son, Bhudhiman. We then walked up to the first floor of his house. He let me walk first like a thorough gentleman. His aura and presence clearly showed that he was a no ordinary man.

His study room had an aroma and feel of the yesteryear. It exhibited a perfect balance of books and ‘kukris’ which he must have gathered all his life. I felt honoured to be seated there and share a conversation with him. While I was closely observing his room, Col JP Cross was busy looking for a pen to sign two of his books – Gurkha Tales and It Happens with Gurkhas, as a gift for me.  And soon he exclaimed, “This pen is from 1959”!

In this blog, I purposely won’t go into what he narrated but how he narrated. I had gone to meet him for a specific discussion and thought I was fully prepared. But the moment he started to narrate his life story, I didn’t want it to end. The story dated back to the time of the British Raj and World War II. He uttered the exact years, months and days for every anecdote he provided. I had already forgotten all the questions which I had prepared. His playfulness and energy were visible in each of his stories.  We sat together for about more than an hour. From Britain, to India, South East Asia and eventually to Nepal, he shared it all. His journey of getting Nepalese citizenship after years of struggle was particularly interesting.

I was amazed to see so many elements at the same time in Col. Cross. While he narrated, he was also mindful to offer me tea and cakes. And like a teenager, he asked me, “Are you sweet enough, or do you want more”? And prompt came my reply, “I want to be the sweetest”.

Col. Cross shared many anecdotes. And I already chose my favourite. It was the story of a lady in England for whom he got onto his knees; only to forget her name at that very moment. The rest remains history.

My arrival that day had cut short his daily morning walk schedule of 4 hours 5 minutes. He also had to attend a basketball match at 1300 hours. So, I knew I had to hurry. Without taking anymore of his time, I asked him my last question, “What is your message to the youth?”

Taking a pause, he replied, “I am promokh atithi to many schools. And my main talk is not to the successful but the ones who failed. Don’t give up. Try again”.  

With much laughter, positivity and good vibes we concluded our discussion. I politely asked if I could click his picture and he obliged saying, “Yes please, unless it hurts”. I couldn’t get enough of this conversation and his great sense of humour. I also felt privileged when he offered me to write in his visitor’s book.

I soon felt his premises with a bag full of memories, and an experience which can never to expressed  thoroughly through writing.

Comments

Popular Posts