And so, it began with Sri Lanka


Year 2018 welcomed me with a series of travelling opportunities. Primarily for work but in my heart, I knew it was going to be many of ‘my first’ moments, including watching the ‘super blood blue moon’ overlooking the Indian ocean. And clearly, I was both excited and nervous.

My first stop was Sri Lanka. Although located so close to India, I never had a chance of visit this amazing land of ‘people’, ‘nature’ and ‘food’. All my favourites! And I couldn’t be more excited about it. Moreover, travelling with six other people from four different countries made it even more interesting. Our base was in Colombo with a couple of day trips to nearby towns; Galle being my favourite. And Sri Lanka had a lot to offer!

An interesting artifact in Galle


Besides meeting my cohort, I was also looking forward to understanding the land and its people. Although, seven days is not enough to understand a place, I tried my best to visit with an open mind, keeping my biases locked up in a suitcase and throwing away the key into the ocean. And I must admit, I really enjoyed Sri Lanka. Coconut water and the array of interesting cuisine the country had to offer, kept me busy and happy. I was also highly impressed by the clean streets in Colombo, atleast when I compared it to some parts of my country, even New Delhi. There is always something to learn from others, I felt.

It was here that I felt how a single story can develop a certain perception of people towards one another and even countries. Relations between India and Sri Lanka goes way back to the mythological era of the ‘Ramayana’. And as expected, I like many of my fellow Indians were aware of the Indian side of the story. Little did I know that Sri Lanka had their own version of the same story. I don’t know which the correct version is, nor do I want to debate over it, what I want to ponder upon is the necessity to be aware of different versions of the same story; and never to fall prey to the single story. Doing so not only broadens our horizon but also compels us to think deeply over issues and situations.

Coming back to the present reality, I realised that both our countries were so similar. Whether it was the warm hospitality that was generated by some of the incredible individuals whom we met in Colombo, the every day low-cost scrumptious meal I had, the highly committed and motivated individuals working and volunteering in Sinharaja Nature Reserve, the young minds of Nakano College with whom we interacted individually, or even the young adolescent boys loitering around in groups on the streets of Colombo and Galle. Everybody had a story to tell and lessons were to be learnt.

A calm evening by the ocean in Sri Lanka
People are out there doing good work without seeking recognition. One such individual whom I met was Jayantha, who came to sell upcycled products with much pride during a weekend market organised by ‘GoodMarket’ in Colombo. When I visited his stall with my fellow colleagues from Hong Kong and Afghanistan, his energy lit up. He introduced himself to be someone who worked in a plastic factory in the past only to realise that his calling was to do good for the society and humankind. And he soon got associated with an organisation involved in creating upcycled products. His upcycled products were worth buying and we soon struck a conversation. And before we could realise, he brought out his photo album showing us his interaction with school children to promote sustainable living and create upcycled products.


Jayantha showing us his passion of producing upcylcled products through his photo album
Another interesting day from the Colombo diary was our visit to Nakano College where we interacted and shared our stories to students from 12 to 16 years old. Striking a conversation with them initially took time. It compelled me to reflect upon my interaction with the similar age group when in Hawaii. And I have to say it was completely different. While in US, the students had no inhibitions interacting with us from different countries, students here were initially a bit apprehensive. However, it was just a matter of time; and soon stories and meaningful conversations flowed. I was impressed by their curiosity and knowledge on specific issues, be it human-wildlife conflict, importance of conserving one’s own culture and traditions, or even climate change. I was also surprised by their level of clarity of what they wanted to become in life. They clearly wanted to learn more. A lesson which I will take back from one of the students was when she said, “One day, I will surely go to the western countries to learn more but only to come back and share the knowledge with my people and serve my country better”.

Sri Lanka will always be special to me because it is the place from where I will embark on my first ever solo international trip. As a matter of fact, as I write this piece, I am already in my first destination - sitting in a small room in Kathmandu city located amidst narrow congested lanes and building, only to trek up to the welcoming Himalayas.

Comments

Popular Posts